Whilst we had the car with the gearbox out Matt set about getting some other parts sorted for the car. It made sense to sort it all at once. On a daily basis Matt would call and add things to the job, inform us more parts were coming and check up on the progress of the build.
This build was probably not so much of a build as it was more of tidy up. The car was clean from a distance. A recent respray made it look great in photos but up close the little things annoyed Matt. We got stuck into and started replacing a lot of worn out things with OEM replacements and the occasional GKTech upgrade.
Vehicles that have had backyard enthusiasts work often disgust and this one was no different. This was not Matts doing as he recently had acquired the vehicle, yet a lot of backyard professional handy work was present. Heater hose for turbo oil return lines and breathers are always a bad idea. Missing or snapped bolts in rocker covers, coil packs and timing adjusters needed attention, and faded headlight surrounds and ratty interior panels were replaced with flash new ones.
The deeper we dove into the vehicle the more we found how half arsed things had been done. We found the studs for the water pump pulley were missing and had been replaced with bolts and nuts, this was quickly rectified. The oil dip stick tube was missing its mounting bracket and every second bolt thread was cross threaded and needed repairs.